Evolution of Meghalaya Prisons
The office of the Inspector General of Prisons was created in December, 1975. Initially, the Director of Health Services (D.H.S) held additional charge of the post and on 23nd February, 1976, regular Inspector General of Prisons was posted. The office of the Inspector General of Prisons functioned from the Main Secretariat building till the year 1993 and then it was shifted to the present location on the Top Floor of Horse Shoe Building, Lower Lachumiere, Shillong.
When the Prisons Department started functioning, there were only 2 (two) District Jails, one at Shillong and the other at Tura. The District Jail at Shillong was established in 1897 with authorised capacity of 150 prisoners (135 males and 15 females). It covers a total area of 5.5 Acres. It caters to undertrial prisoners (UTPs) from 3 (three) Districts of East Khasi Hills, West Khasi Hills and South West Khasi Hills. District jail at Tura was established in 1905 with authorised capacity of 200 prisoners (190 – Male and 10 – Female).
The District Jail at Williamnagar started functioning from September, 1992. The District Jail at Jowai started functioning from 12th June, 1993. The District Jail at Nongpoh started functioning from 8th July, 2016.